If the SMTP server configuration was incorrect on her phone, I'd think she'd see that everywhere and wouldn't be able to send email at all. Obviously, it's something to check though.

Jenny,

I'm curious, who's your broadband service provider at home and who's your email provider? Are they the same? If so, your email provider may have their SMTP server set up to only send out emails that originate on their own internal network. Companies do this to keep their SMTP servers from being used for spam. Time Warner used to do this. If so, check with your service provider on how to send emails from your phone. If not, check your SMTP settings and report back.