Kind of like listening through a tube! LOL!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Neal Ewers
  To: viphone@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 9:56 AM
  Subject: RE: Bluetooth Ear Peace Recommendations Wanted

  Hi, Let's make sure we are talking about the same definition of compression
here.

  There are at least two types of audio compression.

  One is the fact that sound is kept from going over a certain DB threshold by
either a limiter or compressor. This causes the sound to be more even with
respect to volume. Sometimes, if this is done poorly, you can hear the pumping
sound that Alan mentions because you can hear the volume being quickly turned
up and down.

  The second kind of compression is what I was talking about with regard to the
Plantronics microphone and others. It is not compressed in the same way. This
kind of compression is a simple narrowing of the audio band width. It would be
like comparing 44.1 sampling rate to  11.025 which is a much poorer quality
because the resulting file is smaller.

  Of course, the Plantronics and other microphones likely use both kinds of
compression. Add in noise canceling, and you can get some very strange
artifacts.

  Neal