Hello, Ed.
Unfortunately, Sieghard is entirely correct as to Verizon's ability to
technically force you into having a data plan for an iPhone. The
Verizon iPhones use CDMA for voice at this time, and that means
Verizon can and does limit what devices are on the network by their
ESN, which identifies the device type as well as the specific device.
If you are looking for a voice only option due to cheapness, however,
you may want to simply get a data plan if you have an iPhone 5. If you
buy a SIM card for the iPhone 5 LTE (the iPhone 5 uses a SIM card),
and inform Verizon that you will be using a data only device, you may
well be able to get away with just a data plan and use Skype for
voice, which may well be cheaper than a voice/data plan. Whether this
is acceptable for you depends entirely on whether you are in an LTE
area, whether you are comfortable with Skype, and whether Verizon
itself will technically allow the LTE portion of the iPhone 5 to sign
on to the network without the CDMA portion signing on as well. Note
that you will not have this problem with AT&T or T-Mobile, but you
will need a GSM device to handle those networks.
HTH.
Aman