Christopher, this point is not related with your point. The issue is not if the memory is blank. The issue is apple is obligating us to install IOs 7 filling the memory with data that is not the operated system. So the issue is not the memory space fulled by the operated system. The issue is the memory that is occupating the second operated system stored in the memory. The issue is that apple downloaded and full that memory without or permission. So we are talking about 2 operated system stored in the memory, One installed, and other waiting to be install. On the other hand, I don't see a lot of benefits to the users of IOs 7 in an iPhone 4. Security? What security if the most part of the apple users don't jeilbreak their devices? What security if is my right to keep my iPhone unsecured or secure. Is my right to run the operated system that works better with my device, my device, no the apple device. You know, right to the property. I have the right to allow or do not allow the download to data to my device. More when the download is so big. Again, these are our properties, no the apple properties. They can create what ever IOs wants, but is our right to install it when ever we want, if we want. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Chaltain" <chalt...@gmail.com>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: About iOS 7, is it really so bad? was: Apple now forcing iOS 6 holdouts to upgrade to iOS 7.

One thing to keep in mind here is that you didn't buy a blank memory stick or a device where you can load your own operating system. You didn't just buy a piece of hardware. You bought the operating system and you bought into the whole Apple ecosystem. You get a lot of advantages from the ecosystem, such as built in accessibility, a simpler interface, greater security, virtually no fragmentation and so on.

I agree that we have the right to ask Apple for different features, but I don't think access to every byte of memory on our iPhone is a right. The OS already takes up a certain amount of space. Every time Apple implements a new feature, the operating system gets a little larger. Apple could just increase the amount of space IOS consumes and build in an area of memory exclusively used for upgrades, and we'd be none the wiser.

Like I said, we can ask Apple to change, but supporting multiple OS's will cost Apple and app developers, and these costs will be passed onto the consumers. Apple has also been wildly successful with this model, so much so that Microsoft and even Google are starting to emulate this model.