So, you have two choices currently. You can go with Apple, who is focused on
user experience. This company has learned that the vast majority of their users
prefers the upgraded iOS to automatically be downloaded to the device so that
they can update, whenever and wherever they choose in as easy a way as
possible. With this model, the only way you can keep the system from setting up
to offer the upgrade nice and ready for installation is to keep your memory at
less than 1.5 GB of available storage as this is how much the update takes up
if you do not start the process manually. If you do start the process manually,
3 GB of space is required. Apple makes it very clear that, once you upgrade,
you cannot downgrade again. Because of this, Apple stops supporting the
previous version shortly after the new version is released.

Your other option is Android. Android gives almost the same level of control
and customisation that one receives on a Windows desktop. However, phone
manufacturers are free to modify the Android OS before you ever receive the
phone. Unlike with Apple, where the previous three years worth of models are
supported for upgrades, Android phones are well-known for the fact that upgrade
availability can take a year or longer after release before your device upgrade
becomes available from your product manufacturer / carrier. According to things
I have read, Android does not have priority for supporting older devices with
new OS, so you may acquire an Android device running the current version and
never be able to upgrade. In many cases, this can be gotten around if you are
technical enough to remove your OS and install a different / upgraded version
of the OS, but this action may well 'brick' your device (as a friend recently
discovered). If that happens, your only option is purchasing a new device.

In other words, nothing is perfect. No solution is going to make everyone
happy. The question you must ask yourself is, which approach better matches
you. Then, you must accept the trade-offs that you acquire with that device's
approach.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288