I don't think it's much like buying a car, although if gas prices were high enough, maybe gas companies would give away cars and you'd just have to pay for the gas from them to run your car. I don't think this is a new trend, but when your selling a service or content rather than a piece of hardware or a stand alone software application, it's frequently the case that you give away the hardware or the application and then charge for the service or the content.

On 11/11/2013 04:00 PM, Andy Baracco wrote:
The app is free, but you can't do anything with it unless you pay? Sounds like buying a car and being told that you have to pay extra for the engine, wheels and tires. But that seems to be the trend, as many developers are doing this, i. e. the Seeing Eye GPS app, and the various sports apps such as MLB At bat, NFL Audio Pass, and NBA Game Time.

Andy

-----Original Message----- From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 12:41 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Mechanical Turk, CamFind, TapTapSee and developers responsibilities -was- Re: TapTapSee

Hi Carol,

No, the app continues to be free, but you pay for using the service. You
really have to think of this as a service not an app because all the app
does is to provide an interface for taking the picture and passing it on to Tap Tap See's servers. Here the picture is now recognized, quite often by a real person who gets paid for providing the description, then the result is
sent back to your phone where it is announced and displayed in the app.

Tap Tap See has been paying for this and they tried to fund this from maybe other revenues they received, but it came to a point where they either had
to start charging or shut the service down completely.

If you use Tap Tap See only occasionally you are better off buying their 100
picture package for $7.99. You basically pay 8 Cents for each picture you
send and receive a reply/description.
If you use Tap Tap See a whole lot you can pay a monthly flat rate of $9.99 for unlimited use which means you pay $9.99 whether you take no pictures or
1,000 pictures.
The math is easy. At 8 Cents a picture, 125 pictures would cost you $10
which is the cost for the monthly subscription. If you take less than 125
pictures a month you are better off paying for actual use and to buy the 100 picture pack. The other good thing is of course that the 100 pictures won't go away, if you only take 2 one month and 20 the next then you still have 78 left and if you never took another picture for the next 3 months then after
5 months you still had 78 pictures. If you pay $9.99 then you can take
unlimited pictures for the next 30 days, but if you only used 50, you could
have done so for a lot less.