I don't really think this is analogous to the business model of the 80's either. After all this is just one company with one product. It'll be competing with a lot of different options, and it may or may not make it in the market place.

In the 80's, the cost of products like these were 100 times what we're being asked to pay today. Remember too that KNFB Reader is not running a custom OS on custom hardware. You're still just buying an app for an off the shelf platform which already has accessibility built into it. Again, a far cry from where we were in the 80's.

I suspect the KNFB Reader folks are looking at the price of different options, as well as the size of their market and setting the price based on how much money they think they need to offset the development and other costs with developing and distributing their product. In a way, this is how each app in the App Store determines their price, whether they're developed with the blind in mind or just for the general population.