I have a feeling that if Jonathon offering this book for free, Joseph
F will have totally different take on the book.
Joseph, your first email was clearly personal atact on whoever that
write this kind of training material. It is not personally towards
Jonathon perhaps, but it is all the same.

I'm not one who fancy manual, but i do see it's place for training
manuals and guides. You are not say as much, but to dismiss the
important of manuals and guides is like to asking a psychologist not
to use DSM as a guide, and rely on their friends and mailling lists
telling them things they need or, no need to know.

Personally, i've not read the IOS7 without the Eye, or any of Mosen's
books so i can't comment how useful, or not useful it is towards my
personal and professional use of IOS. However, i do encourage others
to get them, if they think they need some resource that they can rely
on off the net.
I'm sure this list, as well as some other list and applevis will come
very handy on the release of ios8, but, not all people on this list
have the same technical  knowledge and skills to adapt for change, or
embrace change.
And, you do get some mix message as to how good and bad the new ios
can be, from personal bias or experience, or lack of experience in
some cases from the list.Just like, some people still hang on tight to
ios4, or even 5.

And even if Jonathon make money from the books, so what? It is a well
earn money, and people paying for it because they believe he has
things to say.