  From: Jonathan Mosen
  To: viphone@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:55 AM
  Subject: Re: Pre-orders now open for iOS 8 Without the Eye

  Hi everyone, I'm conscious that both our moderators are probably sleeping
right now, and having moderated email lists over many years, I know what an
unpleasant feeling it is to wake up to a list that's gone off the rails. So in
an attempt to prevent that from happening, I thought I would add a few
comments. It's not my intension to respond to personal attacks, however there
are some substantive issues that may be helpful.
  First, my book, "iOS 8 Without the Eye" is by no means the only game in town
for getting information about iOS 8 when it comes out. An excellent free source
of information will be Applevis, a site of which I am a huge fan. You can be
sure that free resources from there will include blog posts and podcasts. There
are sure to be other places as well.
  I wrote iOS 7 Without the Eye last year because I got feedback that there was
a need for it. As some of you may know, I've produced literally hundreds of
hours at least of audio tutorials on a wide range of subjects, a few of which
are in fact on Applevis. I also continue to get very kind feedback about the
FSCasts I have done over the years on iTunes. Many people like to be talked
through an application or operating system, hearing what the speech is doing.
People who learn best this way are big fans of podcasts, if they're produced
well.
  Equally, I hear from people who say that they prefer to learn from a book.
I've done a few audio presentations since starting Mosen Consulting, but books
like Tweeting Blind and the iOS without the Eye series have been well received
because they're in writing.
  So rather than do an audio version of iOS 8 Without the Eye, I decided that
audio was well covered and that I'd focus on text.
  Yes, you'll be able to get textual help via a range of sources, and some
people will be happy installing the OS and discovering things for themselves,
sharing their discoveries on a range of forums. But last year, we sold
thousands of copies of the book. What that showed me was that some people
prefer to have a coherent, consistent, comprehensive guide, written by a
technical writer who can explain the concepts. The book is a work in progress
right now, but already we're hitting the 25,000 word mark, about 63 pages in
Microsoft Word and growing. It has been peer reviewed by a number of fellow
testers, to make sure that I'm explaining things clearly enough, and that I've
not left things out. It has already had its first draft sent to a copy editor,
who has gone through it meticulously for readability and other factors.
  Each chapter has been carefully crafted, tweaked, and tweaked some more. That
will continue to happen right up until iOS 8 release day.
  So I don't claim to have a monopoly on this knowledge. What I can promise you
is that I've put many hours into writing all this up, explaining it as clearly
as possible, and making sure it all jells. That will be worth 20 bucks to some
of you, and it won't to others of you. That's the market for you. If there's no
longer a need for the book, no one will buy it, and that will tell me whether I
should do it again for iOS 9. All I have to serve as a guide about the need is
the thousands that were bought last year.
  This list is a microcosm of the entire blind iPhone using community. Some
people are experts, some are still struggling with the iPhone and find the
prospect of a bunch of new and changed features daunting. Many experts will
want this book because they'd prefer to invest in a tool that gets them going
quickly, others will think it's a waste of their money. Many novice users, I
suspect, will be glad to have someone they may know from elsewhere helping them
through some new things.
  So if it helps you, consider the book. If it doesn't, please enjoy and
support the many great contributors to our community, for which I'm sure many
of us are grateful. And in fact, there's really no reason not to do both of
those things if both options will be helpful to you.
  Thanks everyone.

  Jonathan Mosen
  Mosen Consulting
  Blindness technology eBooks, tutorials and training
  http://Mosen.org