Hi,
You want to know the reason why i avoid using blind specific apps as far as i
possibly can?
1: Blindness specific apps send a signal to developers that they need not
bother to put accessibility into main stream apps, because a solution exists
that blind are going to prefer anyway.
2: As someone stated earlier, blind specific apps tend not to be updated past
the first version and the first bug fix release, then they get forgotten.
3: Some, *not all* but some developers tend to oversimplify and exclude
features even down to a basic level and to me at least it is like they're
saying that blind folks can't chew chewing gum and walk at the same time, that
in my not so humble opinion is an insult of my inteligence. I'm not saying we
should have bells and whistles by the score and just because they can, but if
one makes, say a calendar, something that already exists and is accessible
don't omit features that are basic. Now let me say this once again, not all
developers do this but i've seen those who do. Let's also be clear on one more
point, there are apps that are really needed, like screen readers, money
identifiers, some apps that adds extra gps info to standard gps apps etc but
there are other apps that reinvent the wheel but more over simplified, like
certain calendars, calculators and the like.
Just my 0.02.
/Krister