On 2014-04-18 04:50, Hugh Williams wrote:

> [Hugh] I note that you do not appear to have any of the parameters the new v7
> vectored execution set in your INI file , these being:
>
> MaxQueryMem            = 2G           ; memory allocated to query processor
> VectorSize             = 1000         ; initial parallel query vector (array
> of query operations) size
> MaxVectorSize                  = 1000000      ; query vector size threshold.
> AdjustVectorSize       = 0
> ThreadsPerQuery        = 8
> AsyncQueueMaxThreads   = 10
>
> See the following documentation for details on use:
>
>       http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/databaseadmsrv.html#confvectexec
>       http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/vexqrparl.html
>
> These should improve query performance, although probably not the relative
> performance between the two builds.

Hugh,

I have some interesting results... it turns out that configuring
vectored execution is *SLOWER* for my machine and queries.  See

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32340538/query_timings_vectored_vs_not_vectored.png

where

"No vectored execution" is with the parameters commented out like this:

;VectorSize = 1000
;MaxQueryMem = 2G
;AdjustVectorSize = 1
;MaxVectorSize = 3000000
;ThreadsPerQuery = 8
;AsyncQueueMaxThreads = 10

"Vectored config setup defaults" is with:

VectorSize = 10000
MaxQueryMem = 1G
AdjustVectorSize = 1
MaxVectorSize = 1000000
ThreadsPerQuery = 24
AsyncQueueMaxThreads = 16

and "Vectored config setup Hugh" is with the parameters you suggested:

VectorSize = 1000
MaxQueryMem = 2G
AdjustVectorSize = 0
MaxVectorSize = 1000000
ThreadsPerQuery = 8
AsyncQueueMaxThreads = 10

Note that the case "No vectored execution" is the fastest for all my
queries.  Also, when performing the 'top' command while the queries were
running, there was always only one CPU occupied.  I was not expecting
that.  I was expecting that more CPUs would be used.  Was that normal
for vectored/parallel execution???

> If the query response time are still not fast enough, are you able to provide
> a copy of the datasets such that we can load locally for recreation ?

The query response times are still not what we want.  I cannot provide
you the data because I'm bound by an NDA.  But my next step is to follow
the instructions on
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/doc/dav/wiki/Main/VirtTipsAndTricksAanalyzingSPARQLQuery

to get a full explain plan for my queries.

But since I've learned not to try new and important things on a
Friday-evening when it's almost weekend, that will probably be for next
week ;-)

Kind regards,
Bart