Dear John;

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:55 PM, John C Klensin <john-i...@jck.com> wrote:

> --On Friday, March 30, 2012 16:18 -0700 SM <s...@resistor.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>> At 15:14 30-03-2012, John C Klensin wrote:
>>> Just so we understand what we are talking about, that means
>>> all eight tracks, plus the plenaries?  My recollection of how
>>> much
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> skilled transcribers can do at a time combined with the length
>>> of our day, is that would mean at least 10 and probably 12-15,
>>> transcription people.  Is that roughly what the figure you
>>> give is based on?  And does it include airfare and hotels for
>>> those people (noting that they would, e.g., outnumber
>>> Secretariat staff for the duration of a meeting.
>>
>> No, I meant doing the transcription remotely to avoid the
>> expenses of airfare and hotels.  Skilled transcribers are more
>> expensive.  BTW, I looked up the figures over a year ago.
>
> Interesting idea.  Of course, if the audio fails, we would
> essentially have what used to be called a domino effect: if
> minutes and everything else depended on the transcribers, the
> transcribers were remote, and the audio went out, the WG might
> reasonably adjourn to the nearest location dispensing coffee or
> stronger beverages.

I think that we may be moving towards a regime where that would be true
in any case. At some point, as the number of remote participants grows
(including participants who rely on virtual attendance), the ability to have
an open standards organization meeting will depend on the technology working.

Suppose, for example, you had a WG meeting where most of the
proponents of technology X were local, and physically present, and the
proponents of technology Y were foreign, and virtually present. If the
remote participation technology fails, can the WG Chair legitimately
claim "in-room" consensus to select technology X? (Of course, such
in-room consensus would have to be confirmed on the WG mailing list,
but  meeting consensus can have a big influence on mailing list
consensus.)

The result of what we are doing here will I think inevitably at some
point change the answer to no. And, after that, you are not having a
WG meeting, just some sort of seminar.

Regards
Marshall