Wow, thanks for all the responses guys.

In explanation of why solutions like this aren't suitable, they only deal with a single case of me personally having access.

The testing system I'm creating is intended to allow the testing of Perl modules on every platform from a single whitebox PC available for under $500.

So by having some open source operating system running in an image on an open source or otherwise easy to license emulator, I can include system images in the 10-20gigabyte standard collection of system images.

On installing the test system, you bittorrent the whatever gigabytes (or order a DVD set or some such) and then can test across everything.

So thus ordinary linux/mac-resident developers can test their packages against BSD or Linux or Darwin, other hardware architectures, VMS etc etc, and see why things are failing/

(there's other solutions in the works for the commercially licensed windows stuff, but I'd like to keep the number of things requiring either dedicated hardware, authentication, or non-free-and-redistributable licenses to an absolute minimum.

Hence the attempt at the purest emulation approach.

I'll be checking out the various emulators mentioned over the coming weeks.

Thanks

Adam K