Thanks for the elaboration.  There are some things you need to know about VMS
before you get too much further with including it in your plans.  First of all,
while one of the VAX emulators is open source, the OS itself is not.  There is
a free license available for hobbyists, and it seems that most everyone
considers unremunerated contributions to open source projects to be a valid use
of the hobbyist license.

However, as I understand it, you cannot freely distribute OS media even though
the recipient of the distribution will have to get his or her own licenses in
order to run it.  There is one and only one outfit that has blessings from HP
to distribute low-cost OS media to hobbyists (http://www.montagar.com), so if
you were planning to distribute an image of a running, emulated, VMS system as
part of your master image, that sounds to me like it would probably be a
copyright violation.

There would of course be some value in already having the emulator there ready
to go so the target developer audience could just add software after obtaining
their own OS media.  One other thing you should know about running a VAX
emulator, though, is that the VAX version of VMS has seen very little in the
way of enhancements in recent years (which makes sense since the processor's
last ship date was about six years ago).  Meanwhile there have been extensive
new developments on Alpha and Itanium, which are currently more or less on par
with each other, though within the next year or two we'll probably start seeing
more Itanium-only enhancements.

Among the goodies you don't get when you run VMS on VAX are: IEEE floating
point, the ability to preserve filename case, long filename support, large file
support, any 64-bit features, POSIX-compliant file dates, symlinks, hard links,
and many, many C-runtime enhancements for more posixy behavior.  Obviously if
an alpha or itanium emulator surfaces, it would be far preferable to use that.

Your idea is splendid and I'm glad to see you including VMS on the list of OS's
you want to provide.  From a licensing standpoint, though, it's probably going
to be more like Windows than like Linux.