Alan & Craig,

Thank you for your continued help. The command produces:

CHUCK> show log perl_root
   "PERL_ROOT" = "DKC300:[PERL5_8_6.]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

Thanks,
Chuck

Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing wrote:
Craig Berry quoted Chuck Aaron:

Don't forget to hit reply-to-all, as replying directly to me severely
limits the possibility you will get help in a reasonable time frame,
or, in this case, reliable help at all.

The disk names were not changed during the upgrade and the web server is
running fine and working correctly apart from PERL. I looked on this server for
miniperl.exe and it is no where to be found. What would you suggest? Should I
delete PERL and try to re-install it? I have CSWS installed, along with
CSWS_Perl also. I noticed in the doc that the new 5.8 will not work without
them. I run the OSU Web Server not Apache.

I know nothing about OSU and can only speculate about what might be
wrong, but I see in Alan Winston's book, "OpenVMS with Apache, OSU,
and WASD," p. 309, , that OSU, "looks for webperl, then looks for
perl, then looks for miniperl...."  If you don't have Alan's book,
you shouldn't be running a VMS-based web server, or, to state it more
positively, anyone running a VMS-based web server should have Alan's
book.

Shucks.  If I ever manage to find the time to write the 2nd edition, can I ues
that quote?

So the fact that it can't find miniperl means it also failed to find
webperl and perl, one of which is probably what it really wants.
Look for those files and check all the related symbols and logicals
and read your OSU documentation for webperl set-up.  Also consider
posting to the OSU mailing list.  I have a vague suspicion that you
have to build your own Perl to use with OSU and can't just use the
HP-supplied kit directly via SWS_PERL.

I don't think that's mandatory.  OSU doesn't necessarily have any carnal
knowledge of PERL internals, or vice versa.  (You can compile up a
"webperl.exe" that uses PERLSHR and is supposed to be optimized for CGI-ation,
but I never bothered with that; you might care on a slow VAX.  Otherwise the
DECnet task object uses vanilla PERL and puts a note in the log about
"unoptimized PERL".  I'd expect SWS_PERL to work provided WWWEXEC.COM can find
it; that means PERL_ROOT needs to be defined globally, or maybe in the
HTTP_SERVER LOGIN.COM

Absent finding PERL_ROOT, it tries for miniperl.

My offhand guess would be that Chuck had PERL_ROOT defined globally but the
definition  didn't make it into his automated startup, and the reboot
necessitated by the VMS upgrade wiped out the definition.

Chuck:

$ SHOW LOG PERL_ROOT

and let us know what you find.

-- Alan