> -----Original Message-----
> From: John Ferrell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> I used a batch file to push out VNC.

I've used such a script for similar purposes. I have some ideas for some
streamlining:

> the batch: (I had to make it for both Win98 and Win2K clients
> so you could
> probably stream line it)
> --
> @echo off
> rem This batch will copy the VNC files from F:\VNC to C:\Program
> Files\ORL\VNC
>
> rem If WinVNC.exe is not there we will assume that the system
> needs all the
> files
> IF NOT EXIST C:\progra~1\ORL\VNC\WinVNC.EXE goto CopyFiles
> exit
>
> rem This section copies the VNC files, installs the VNC
> service and runs
> rem VNC the first time
> :CopyFiles
>
> rem lets make sure they get the reg keys
> regedit /s f:\vnc\vnc_cust.reg

I know the /s switch to regedit is not always working the same. Check this
for your platforms.

I rely on just 'executing' the *.reg file: the machine finds the proper app
according to the filetype.

> c:
> cd c:\progra~1
> md c:\progra~1\orl
> md c:\progra~1\orl\vnc
> copy F:\tightVNC\*.* C:\Progra~1\ORL\VNC
> cls

Since you do a cd to the directory, you better make the subdirectories with
relative paths, not with absolute paths (.\orl\ v.s. c:\progra~1\orl)

Better put all files with absolute paths in an archive (*.zip for example)
and extract the archive to c:\.
Then you know you don't make errors on systems where "c:\program files\" is
"c:\progra~2"...

> rem Install the service
> C:\Progra~1\ORL\VNC\WinVNC.exe -install

Better (include the quotes!):
"c:\program files\orl\vnc\winvnc.exe" -install

> exit
> --
> I use this batch in  Novell login script, but I don't see why
> it could not
> be used in a Windows login script.

rights, wrongs, security....

> For the reg keys, I installed VNC with all the settings I
> wanted and then
> exported the keys to a file.

CBee