----- Original Message -----
From: "Thejaswi T" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "William Hooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: Solaris 8 - window manager problem with vncviewer

> > >   2. vncviewer starts the window as root instead of my uid.
> > >      (I'm starting the vncserver as root)
> > >
> > > Any help in fixing this is really appreciated.
> >
> > Doesn't this make sense?  If you run the server as root, everything
under it
> > will be run as root.  If you run the service as a user, everything will
be
> > run under that user.
>
>    the problem is, I have to run the server as root because of the
>    socket connection.
>    Also, what u r saying doesn't make sense... inetd spawns as root
>    but all the clients aren't root.
>
> tx,
> Tej

You don't "have" to run the server as root, if I'm reading the FAQ
correctly:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html#q23
I don't have any experience on Solaris to back this up, though.

inetd contains code to change to different users when it spawns programs,
Xvnc does not.  Apples and oranges.  When you run X as root, don't the
programs you start in that session run as root unless you tell it otherwise
(using sudo or something equivalent)?

--
William Hooper

To err is human, but to moo is bovine.