From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Nick Kovats
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 6:33 PM
To: vnc-list@realvnc.com
Subject: A simple, solid and stable P2P Bidirectional NAT Traversal
technique for RealVNC users...

For the typical users of RealVNC, the prevailing desire seems to be
remote
connectivity through home routers, corporate firewalls, etc. but the
average
user may be thwarted by diverse implementations of the "dreaded" Network
Address Tranlations (NAT's).

Well, NAT has it's uses but hey...I just wanna check in with my home PC!

The following workaround will blow RealVNC users away with it's
operational
simplicity.

It's called Hamachi, it can be found at http://hamachi.cc  and displays
some
brilliant Canuck software engineering.

Technically it's a P2P bidirectional NAT traversal solution with 3
levels of
security, i.e.

- DH group - 2048-bit MODP group from RFC 3526
<http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc3526>

- Message encryption - AES-256-CBC using ESP
<http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc2406>-style padding

- Message authentication - 96-bit version <http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc2404>
of
HMAC-SHA1 <http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc2104>

It creates a virtual network adapter on your PC, issues Hamachi virtual
IP
addresses, i.e. 5.0.23.43 and speaks Hamachi protocol. It's not a "true"
P2P
implementation, i.e. it uses "mediation" servers to "help" connect the
peers.

But if you can operate a mouse, you can install and run Hamachi. It's
free
and about to become very popular. :)

And it literally does "punch" right through "most " NAT's. In fact as I
type
this my Hamachi virtual adapter on my work PC has a solid connection
with my
home PC. I have inserted the Hamachi issued IP into my RealVNC viewer
and,
voila...there is my desktop.

Remember to install Hamachi on every windows PC you wish to connect to
...in
fact you can easily create multiple and distinct Hamachi networks each
with
their own unique password access.

I work for a significantly sized NOC with multiple levels of firewalls,
IDS
and IPS. It's increasing popularity may soon have security personal
frantically rewriting firewall app filter rules but hey...nows the time
try it out.

Bottom Line:  Install Hamachi on your remote and local PCs. Create a
network
name and "common" network password. Add "trusted" users by Hamachi IP or
by
nickname. You can also "evict" them...in Hamachi parlance.

You now can enjoy an encrypted, operational and free virtual private
network
(VPN) that you can start tunneling your favorite applications right
through,
i.e. RealVNC.

Have fun....

NK in Toronto