Posted by Randy Barnett:
Cognititive Psychology and Contracts:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2005_06_12-2005_06_18.shtml#1118933911

   One of the reasons I came to the AALS was to hear Steve Ware and
   Marcus Cole speak. I have known both since they were law students.
   Unfortunately Marcus, who was supposed to be on this morning's panel
   became ill, so is not here. I had thought of skipping the first
   session, but my duty to you, dear VC reader, impelled me to return to
   (almost) liveblog the session, which is on the Implications of Limited
   Rationality for Contract and Commercial Law.
   Reliance on cognitive psychology to understand how people make
   decisions has lately been fashionable among contract scholars. This
   panel is designed to introduce these ideas. The panelists are Danielle
   Kie Hard of Southwest University and Manuel Utset of Utah (and
   formerly of BU).
   I am sitting next to Jay Feinman, one of the founders of the Critical
   Legal Studies movement back on the 1980s. He wrote some pioneering
   scholarship back then on critical approaches to contract law, the
   topic of the second panel of the morning.
   Bob Hillman is calling for the session to begin. (I should note that I
   reviewed Hillman's book on contract law here. I rarely get a chance to
   plug my writings on contract on VC. Consider this the commercial you
   must sit through to get to the "free" programing.) Hillman explains
   that this is a joint panel with the commercial law professors who are
   meeting along with we contracts folks. He is identifying questions he
   raised about the use of psychology in an article of his. The first
   question is whether the psych lab tests really apply to contacting
   situations? Second, do they provide a good account of contracting? He
   seems to be trying to stretch to make up for the absence of Marcus,
   but I would rather just hear from the 2 remaining speakers and leave
   more time for discussion from the floor, which has been rather
   truncated in previous sessions. But that's just me. (PS: The session
   ended up going 5 minutes over with very little time for audience
   participation,)
   Danielle starts right off criticizing what she calls the âfreedom of
   contract ideal.â Her complaint this morning is that "disclosure
   statutes" to correct bargaining imbalances and asymmetric information
   actually conceal the real problem with freedom of contract, which is
   disparity of power These statutes assume the classical conception of
   contract law which assumes that parties are able to make welfare
   enhancing choices that merit enforcement, provided they are given the
   relevant information. . . . [To read the rest, click on show]

   ([1]show)

   She is now summarizing what she calls classical contract theory. She
   is reading pretty fast so it is hard to keep up. It is the familiar
   description of the rational actor model. (This is the model that
   Marcus was going to critique.) Now she is summarizing the standard
   critique of the unrealistic nature of the rational actor model based
   on informational asymmetry, the failure to consider all salient
   information, and the absence of rationality in the marketplace. She
   says behavioral economics underscores this critique (which I am
   incompletely summarizing because she is speaking so fast--not too fast
   for the audience, just too fast for me to keep up).
   Human cognitive abilities are limited, says the literature that she is
   now summarizing, so people use shortcuts. They ignore the statistical
   data in favor of other less perfect markers. Now she is describing
   framing effects in which preferences are changed solely because of how
   the information is presented to her, which puts power into the hands
   of those who are presenting choices to market actors. Other studies
   show that people are not truly rational self-maximizers. The example
   is that people tip though it is not in their interest to do so (a
   claim that is widely criticized BTW). Market forces require businesses
   to manipulate information to stay in business, she says. She says the
   assumptions of the rational actor model underlying classical contract
   theory are "arguably contestable."
   All this undermines the feasibility of disclosure statutes because
   consumers will not process the information accurately and the
   resulting transaction will still not be wealth maximizing for
   consumers, which is the classical justification for enforcing
   contracts. By relying on disclosure statutes we are privileging the
   classical conception of freedom of contract which, on its own terms,
   is incoherent. Freedom of contract is only workable as an ideal if its
   underlying assumptions are sound, and they appear not to be. Freedom
   of contract, stripped of its underlying justifications leads to the
   "draconian" conclusion that "contracts should be kept." So what we
   have instead is a naked abuse of power. "Freedom of contract is
   essentially being used as a front for the use of contract as power."
   One problem with this critique is that it is what philosopher's call
   "radical" which means essentially that it applies so broadly that it
   equally undercuts the position of the person making the critique. In
   this case, these inabilities to process information and make value
   maximizing choices equally (if not more so) undermine democratic
   theory by which voters choose leaders to pass laws to protect them
   from unscrupulous businesses. How are THESE choices to be made given
   the claims of cognitive impairment? The same would apply to the
   experts like contract law professors who posture that THEY know what
   the rules should be to compensate for consumer ignorance. What makes
   them able to transcend the weaknesses of human cognitive abilities.
   After all, they too are only human. Just attend a faculty meetings
   some time.
   The truth is that the so-called classical model of contract is
   unrealistic, but a more realistic economic model nevertheless supports
   the decentralization of decisions down to the level of individual,
   rather than allowing some imperfect persons make choices for
   others--choices about which they lack knowledge. In addition, it is
   the individual who has the interest to make better choices for
   themselves than do enlightened rulers. All this is the thesis of my
   book, The Structure of Liberty: Justice and the Rule of Law. There I
   defend "freedom of contract" based, not on perfect information, but on
   highly imperfect knowledge.
   But now it's Manuel Utset's turn to speak. He is using Powerpoint,
   which may make it easier for me to keep up. His talk is about the
   time-inconsistent preferences...--oops he changed ths slide! Too late
   to write down his whole thesis. The next slide is about 5 contract law
   issues, Optimal levels of Reliance, Opportunism, incomplete contracts,
   damn, the slide is gone now. I better stop reading the slides. Talk
   about informational impairment!
   Well that does not help either. The problem is that he is throwing too
   many concepts at me so I cannot explain them to you and still keep up.
   (This is what I feared about live blogging.) On the other hand, this
   illustrates the problem he and Danielle are discussing. I doubt that
   most in the audience are internalizing much of the information he is
   throwing at us. Yet these are the very experts upon which Danielle
   would rely to make value enhancing choices for others. The reality is
   that the audience is deferring to the knowledge of the speakers, but
   most of the speakers are deferring to the knowledge of the researchers
   upon whom their papers are based.
   Which is how we ALL make a good portion of our decisions. The main
   difference is that mistakes individuals make primarily harm
   themselves, whereas the mistakes made by rulers harm many others far
   and wide. And rulers lack the same incentives to make value maximizing
   choices for others, that we have for making them for ourselves.
   Manuel is now discussing the difference between my present self and my
   future self. My present self wants to commit to do something but my
   future self will undermine my present choices. At this moment, I can
   identify with this as my present self wants to stop blogging. No wait,
   that is my future self who wants to stop and my present self wanted me
   to blog. Which means that my present-now-past self wanted me to blog
   but my future-now-present self wants to stop. (Well that's the
   difference between ex ante and ex post. Got that?) All this is what he
   means by âtime inconsistent preferences.â
   So I am now just listening until I can figure out what it is possible
   to report. The presentation is actually pretty effectively summarizing
   the cog psych argument for why individual decision making is not
   "optimal." Once again, however, this resort to optimality creates a
   straw man. If you took this critique seriously, you would conclude
   that individuals are incapable of making value maximizing choices--as
   Danielle seemed to suggest--which we know is not the norm, and we
   cannot explain why either democratic rule or rule by (human) experts
   will perform any better given that democratic or expert rulers with
   highly imperfect information and weaknesses in processing this
   information rationally will be able to make better choices for others
   than they can make for themselves.
   There are possible answers to this challenge of course, but most of
   these responses (as we shall see) would serve to relax the assumptions
   on which the critique of individual choice is based, thereby reducing
   the problem for which democratic rule or rule by experts is supposed
   to be the solution.
   I need to stress that, to the credit of its organizers, this panel was
   originally designed to be balanced. These two speakers were supposed
   to present the cog psych critique, which both did effectively--despite
   my inability to keep up with them in this blog--and Marcus was going
   to provide the response. Which makes it all the more unfortunate that
   his illness prevented him from attending.
   I asked the panel about why this cog psych critique does not apply
   equally to rule by experts or democratic rule. Danielle freely
   concedes that it does apply across the board, but that larger
   institutions have the resources to devise and adopt strategies to
   compensate for these cognitive impairments that individuals and even
   small business lack. Fair enough, though I think the original critique
   unduly discounts the strategies that individuals employ to compensate
   for their cognitive deficiencies. That these strategies are imperfect
   (as they are) does not mean that they are not still preferable to rule
   by (imperfect) others.
   ([2]hide)