Following up on Richard's reference, viz.

 Another link on Kowalski
 http://blake.montclair.edu/~kowalskil/cf/

I came across this rather interesting piece
on Cluster Impact Fusion (CIF).

  Cluster Impact Fusion (CIF) "was studied at
  Brookhaven National Laboratory (8).
  Intrigued by the CF controversy, Friedlander
  and his co-workers accelerated microscopic
  droplets of heavy water (containing about
  1300 D2O molecules each) to a modest kinetic
  energy, about 220 eV per molecule, and
  observed what happens when droplets collide
  with a solid target. The idea was to test
  whether or not fusion occurs in a suddenly
  compressed droplet. The name of the phenomenon,
  cluster impact fusion (CIF) was given to the
  process after hot-fusion-like events were
  identified on the basis of protons and tritons
  with appropriate energies. Neutrons were also
  most likely present but the experiment was not
  set up to detect them.

  The only unusual thing about the CIF was the
  number of fusion events. There were 10^10
  times more such events than one would expect
  by using the accepted hot fusion theory. The
  temperature that a tiny droplet could
  possibly reach, after being stopped at the
  target, was certainly below 10^5.

  This number is 10,000 times smaller than the
  10^9 K needed inside a hot fusion reactor
  setup. In other words, CIF fusion rates are
  also much too high to be consistent with the
  existing theory of nuclear fusion."

Now assuming the experimental work is sound, a factor
of 10 billion should not be sneezed at. Also, the fact
that the temperature was ten thousand times smaller
than that needed inside a hot fusion reactor puts
the phenomena firmly in the Cold Fusion [relatively 8-) ]
category.

This is a truly wonderful piece of experimental
evidence. All it lacks is an explanation of what's
going on.

I feel confident that the explanation lies in the
fact that smacking water droplets up against a
steel plate not only involves compression strain
(obviously) but also tensile strain at right angles
to the firing line.

It it this tensile strain, the high speed tearing
apart of the water, which gives rise to high pF values
which are responsible for the astronomical increase
in the number of fusion events over what "one would
expect by using the accepted hot fusion theory."

One is tempted to cannibalize James Carvilles 1992
campaign slogan and say, "it's not the compression,
it's the tension, stupid."  ;-)

It would be interesting to know the result of firing
even colder deuteriated water - in the form of the high
density ices say - against a steel plate.

Another technique worth investigating would be to
subject drops of water to extremely high compression,
allow them to equilibriate and then suddenly release the
pressure.

Cheers,

Frank Grimer

After I wrote the above I thought, how on earth can I
get people to see that there are always two ways to
skin a cat.

Perhaps the easiest way is the simplest, i.e. there are
two ways of increasing a vulgar fraction, increase the
numerator or reduce the denominator.  Citizens (or
subjects in my case) try to increase the denominator
by hard work. Unfortunately they are always swimming
against the current of government who constantly
increase the denominator by inflation.