Ed,

No, this is not insane, it just stupid.

...and there is a big difference?

in·san·i·ty  n. pl. in·san·i·ties
Third definition  Extreme foolishness; folly.

The degree of "extreme" foolishness in regards to Iraq may depend how one feels about the lives of our young men who were lost - compared with the very limited amount of gain we would have had, even if the war had been the resoudning success that Cheney-Rumsfeld envisioned.

As sane individuals, most of us have great difficulty in discounting enough, the level of ingrained insanity in government, issuing out of the "red-scare" and "cold-war" years - when such was actively encouraged - and indeed promotions within the agency depended to a degree on who was the most extreme.

The questions I ask in deciding the degree of insanity are:

1. Are the claims clearly at odds with well established reality or are actions at odds with accepted behavior? 2. Do the claims or actions have a clear benefit to the person or government making them?
3. Are the claims or actions contradictory within themselves?

Answers of yes, no, yes cause me to suspect insanity. In the use of explosives to bring down the Towers, I would answer yes, no, no.

Consequently, I do not think the possibility is based on an insane act by the government. However, I do not believe such an act would be possible or would have been contemplated before 911. Now is a different story.

As I said before - FORGET the Twin-Towers and focus solely on building 7, remember?

This was the building which was not struck by any airliner, and was some distance away from the Twin-Towers, but yet came down supposedly due to "fires" of unknown origin (presumably jet fuel that somehow miraculously escaped burning in the T-Ts, hours before, remember?

This was the building in which zero lives were lost and that contained only CIA, government and financial offices, AND also contained vaults which supposedly contained several billion dollars in untraceable wealth, remember?

This was the only steel-framed building in the history of architecture to fall due soley to fires, remember?

This was also the building that firefighters who were on the scene claimed repeatedly that they could have saved, had they not been explicitly ordered to leave, remember?

This was also the building that firefighters who were on the scene claimed that after having been explicitly ordered to leave, they heard muffled explosions, remember?

Hmmm... Sometimes, perhaps... intentional memory-lapse for the purpose of making a point which is not substantiated by the precise evidence at hand, can disguise as more than the counter-balance to a too-vivid imagination...

...some might call it either obstinance or outright gullibility, no?

Jones