Dave,
 This is an important thread and one I touch on in a book I am finishing
up, called "Mind from Matter".  I think a basic income is inevitable and
could be relatively painless, as I think you have overestimated the outlay
required and underestimated the return.  My calculations (as an amateur)
are based on about $2000/month per household. Assuming 90 percent of 115
million US households would need it, that would amount to roughly $2.5
trillion needed annually. At present, direct Government outlay for basic
'welfare' programs is at minimum $.5 T, much of which would be 'saved'.
Private welfare charity amounts to at minimum $125 B per year, again some
of which could be saved (especially by the lower incomes, which actually
give to charity at higher rates than the very wealthy). There is a total of
$17 T in public and private pensions, again some of which would become
redundant.  The government also pays $1.3T annually for healthcare, which
might possibly then be reduced by some amount. The added income would also
result in some amount of increased taxes paid by some of the recipients,
again reducing the extra taxation imposed on the upper taxpayers.  So all
in all the direct extra outlay might not be that far out. Not to mention,
of course, the real reason to do this. ken deboer