Pay money to ex-prisoners, yes, definitely a good idea.

Pay money to people who have already got food, clothes, housing because
they are currently in prison???

It only makes sense if they are charged for those things while away.
While the cost of prison per inmate I am pretty sure runs higher than the
figures we are talking about,  they don't have to be charged for the
security measures, just the things done in their interest.

They are kinds double dipping if they get it all for free (however
unpleasant) and still get the money while deserving of the less not more.