I think Mizuno meant that is no one left in Japan who is capable of
applying for this grant, or interested in applying for it.

The document (http://www.nedo.go.jp/content/100754489.pdf) is entirely in
Japanese, but if you look at the pages below 15, you will see the
application form. You will recognize the bureaucratic format and get a
sense of what the government demands. Name of institution, name of
researcher, R&D area, theme, schedule, etc., etc.

Here is item 2.3 run through Google translate and adjusted by me:

Implementation Structure

* For implementation system when we contract for this research and
development project, please provide the implementation system diagrams so
that the role of each institution is shown. Please include any
subcontractors, when there is a joint implementation plan.

Blah, blah . . . A retired professor trying to submit something like this
would be rejected out of hand.

I can't blame NEDO. This is tax money. The government must have
accountability. But it just isn't going to happen with these kinds of rules.