Lennart Thornros <lenn...@thornros.com> wrote:

> Once again - nothing wrong with people in large organizations.
> I am saying they could be more effective if broken down and organized for
> rapid changes  (read adapt to the reality we live in).

You are saying people "could be" more effective, in your opinion. I am
pointing out that in actual historical fact, in the case of cold fusion,
they were not more effective. Fleischmann, Pons, Srinivasan and the others
were all part of large groups in established institutions. They made
contributions to cold fusion. Very few people in small institutions, and
few individuals working on their own have made contributions to cold
fusion. Leslie Case and Andrea Rossi are the only examples that come to
mind. People such as Ed Storms and Tom Claytor have made contributions
working at home, but they are drawing upon expertise they developed at Los
Alamos, and in some cases they are still using instruments at Los Alamos.

You are describing a counter-factual version of history. You are saying
that perhaps in parallel universe, cold fusion would have worked better if
it had been developed by small groups. Perhaps you are right but there is
no way to prove it. There may be other discoveries and inventions which
works better pursued by individuals or by small groups. Offhand, other than
the airplane, I cannot think of many fundamental breakthroughs in the last
200 years that did not originate in large institutions.

Fundamental breakthrough such as the incandescent light were made by
individuals such as Edison and Tesla. They had lots of institutional
support and lots of Wall Street capital. After 1906 the Wright brothers
also had mainstream Wall Street support, without which they would have
failed, in my opinion.

People such as Mizuno were part of mainstream institutions but they
encountered a great deal of opposition from other people in those
institutions. I am not suggesting that all large institutions have welcomed
this research. Pam Boss and others have had to fight decision-makers in the
Navy all along.

Many minor incremental technological breakthrough such as the software from
Microsoft were done by small groups of individuals -- Bill Gates in that
case. Compared to the fundamental R&D in computers and in software
conducted by the government before 1975, the contributions made by Gates
are trivial. He repackaged work that was already done in mainstream
institutions and mostly paid for by Uncle Sam. You could make the case that
the billions of dollars he earned should have gone to the taxpayers who
paid for 99% of the work before he started. You could say the same for most
of the money made in Internet ventures. These people are building minor
improvements to an infrastructure paid for by the taxpayers. They just
happen to the first to come up with an implementation. For example, the
first product made by Gates was Microsoft BASIC. BASIC was invented by
Kemeny and Kurtz at Dartmouth College in 1964. Gates did an excellent job
migrating it to microprocessors, but there were thousands of good
programmers who might have done that. He just happened to be the first.

Dartmouth is a private university but it is very much part of the
establishment and a great deal of the money spent there comes from the
federal government. That was already true in 1964.