>From Eric

> This is the reason I've never understood the appeal of gold or bitcoin.

> The urge to take the control of the amount of money in circulation out

> of the hands of central banks seems to disregard the danger of deflation.

I'm baffled that there still exist politicians who want us to go back to the
gold standard, believing that doing so would ensure the safety of U.S.
currency. I think not. The appeal for gold is based on an illusion that gold
has some kind of mystical value of its own, as if the it was ordained by God. I
doubt God cares. Neither is paving the streets of heaven with pure gold (as
Thomas Malloy, once envisioned) recommended due to its soft pliability. In no
time there would be scuff marks and ruts. I wonder if there exist road repair
jobs in heaven.

Going back to a gold standard is insane.  FDR got rid of it back in 1933.
Later, Nixon and G. Ford fiddled with how much gold U.S. citizens could
purchase. I believe part of the problem was due to the fact that U.S. gold
reserves held in Fort Knox was in the process of being decimated as other
nations tried to convert their national currency reserves into gold. By 1971
the U.S. went completely off the gold standard, allowing the price of the
precious metal to float from a fixed $35.00 price to current market value. The
price is currently hovering over $1,100. Gold was much higher not all that long
ago. The more perceived angst there is in the world, the pricey gold gets, and
vice versa.

Given the topic of bitcoin currency being raised in this discussion I suspect
inflation might be more likely of some concern rather than the ravages of
deflation.

Speaking of inflation, it's really another form of taxing the entire nation.
When the effects of inflation end up costing you more to purchase a product or
service, it is no different than having to pay a tax on the same item when you
are living on a fixed income. When a nation experiences moderate inflation,
wealth is being reallocated. Not surprisingly the wealthy tend to weather
"taxation" by inflation far better than who are typically living on limited
fixed incomes.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

OrionWorks.com