Eric and Dave--

I agree with David’s assessment.  In addition, since angular momentum must be
conserved, the effective circulation of electrons in a loop wants to stay that
way.  Magnetic fields are much like electric fields—if established and left
alone, they remain unchanged.  The charge does not “evaporate” with time nor
does it move because of the mass inertia associated with it.  The magnetic
field does not change, because of the angular momentum associated with it.
Angular momentum and linear momentum associated with inertia are very similar
animals.  They do not change without cause--an expenditure or assumption of
energy.

Furthermore,  from observation the angular momentum it only changes by a
certain discrete quanta.  And charge only changes by discrete quanta—the charge
on an electron which goes from 0 to +l or –1 electron charge units.  Linear
momentum of a particle seems to be uncontrolled and able to change in any
increment, no matter how small.  However, it may eventually be found to  also
be controlled at very small time increments and dimensions—those associated
with the Planck scale.

That being said, a lot of people think that quarks exist with fractional unit
charges.  I do not.   Specifically I do not classify a quark as a  real
division of charge,  since they do not seem to exist by themselves.  I think
that the suggestion fractional charges—quarks—are real is associated with the
necessary  geometry of associated real charges in a group of close electrons
and positrons as occur in a nucleus.

P. Hatt’s theory of the proton and and neutron as being constructed from
electrons and positrons seems a better fit to experimental reality than the
quark theory of the makeup of these large constituent particles.
Bob Cook