The explanation of the Fractional Quantum Hall Effect (FQHE)

The explanation of FQHE in view of Laughlin’s ideas is that there exist
fillings (or, equivalently, magnetic field densities) at which the electron
gas is particularly stable and condenses into a special ground state with
high correlation. The slight deviations from these fillings result in
quasi-particle excitations which carry fractional charge. As these
excitations get pinned by the impurities and disorder present in the real
samples, they do not contribute to the current. The conductance therefore
does not change with the filling until the value of the filling for next
stable ground state is reached.