On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Bob Higgins <rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

When you introduce the magnet to the presence of the superconductor,
> currents are induced in the superconductor that cause the magnetic field to
> exactly cancel at the surface of the superconductor such that there is no
> penetration of the magnetic field into the superconductor.  However, this
> induction of a new current is of non-zero frequency, and hence these
> non-zero frequency current components will experience a finite resistance.

This sounds as though the magnet will fall through eventually, due to the
finite resistance brought about by the non-zero frequency of the current.
I assume this component is radiated away as heat, even in a superconductor.

Is the understanding that at the atomic level this part of the analogy
breaks down, and you would not see the same phenomenon?

Eric