From: mixent <mix...@bigpond.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thu, Nov 19, 2015 9:22 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Georgia Institute of Technology report on Hydrodynamics gadget

Hi,
[snip]
>Does this not violate a thermodynamic law?  Some of us are lawless.

Since this can actually be done, if it does violate a thermodynamic law, then
the law needs to be rewritten. ;)

This is a case of kinetic energy being converted into potential energy, so the
second law doesn't really apply (as it's actually based on the statistics of
moving particles).

It's analogous to wind chill. With wind chill, the "hot" molecules are removed
by the wind after escaping from the surface, having spent most of their energy
breaking free of the hydrogen bonds in the water.
In the case of electrolysis, the hydrogen and oxygen end up at different
electrodes, so don't have an opportunity to recombine. In a sense, they are both
examples of Maxwell demons, in so far as a barrier exists which effectively only
allows one way passage.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk