On Wed, 9 Dec 2015, Esa Ruoho wrote:

> What is different about an Orbo power cell, and again, we showed a > brief example of building, hand-building a very simple cell is that, > first of all, it is not an electrochemical device, so there is no ion > transfer, there's no electrolyte and so forth.

If the plates charge up repeatedly, that's DC output. There must be a charge-pump effect involved, and a complete conductive path. The electret wax is a resistor, just one with a large value, and it completes the circuit through the stack of dissimilar metals, as with any battery or capacitor.

Then the question is, is the charge-pump created from chemical breakdown of the dissimilar metals, or from something anomalous? Easy test: treat it as a battery, and see how long it takes to run down. Best would be to use very, very thin metal in the construction, so that any "battery capacity" would necessarily be quite short. That would quickly expose the anomalous energy output, because the device would keep going way past chemistry, way past nuclear. Or to perpetrate a hoax, use very thick metal on purpose, so we mix "anomaly" and "battery" to avoid the possibility of genuine testing.

If it's inexpensive piezo energy-harvesting without ceramic and diode, then WAY COOL! Test it by isolating it vibration-free, see if it stops working after xx months. That measures the primary-battery component of the total energy output.

> So, in order to demonstrate the fundamental difference between an Orbo > power cell and the traditional battery, what we're going to do is > short it out, and we're going to leave it shorted out approximately
> 30 minutes, and then demonstrate that the voltage in open-circuit
> immediately bounces back to this 2.5 odd volts.

That's just wrong.

They have to short it out for a time proportional to the internal resistance. If they have, say, 100,000x higher resistance than a normal battery, then for an equivalent demo, they'd have to short it out for 100,000X longer.

With large internal resistance, shorting the battery using this internal resistance as a load. What if the resistance is 10K ohm? Is it an effective test to place a ?10K? resistor across a battery for a half hour? Nope, 100K hours would be more like it.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci