Bob Higgins <rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com> wrote:

For fear of being branded a card carrying republican, I hate to comment on
> such topics.  I believe the "global warming movement" is a false flag -
> just another lie being broadcast as propaganda to achieve some government's
> pet objective.

Scientists often do rotten things. They can be political animals. Few
people have as much direct experience of their shenanigans as I do, or
greater contempt for them. But one thing they have never done, in the
history of science, is what you describe here. They have NEVER organized a
large scale conspiracy to fool the public. They are not capable of it.
Three reasons: that violates the rules of science; scientists are inept at
communicating or convincing the public of anything (look at the cold fusion
researchers for proof of that); and their social skills are so undeveloped
they could not conspire their way out of a paper bag.

Furthermore, as I said before, one of the most important lessons of cold
fusion is that experts are usually right, and you should not listen to
strange people from outside the scientific establishment. The mainstream
researchers who confirmed cold fusion are right.

If experts in climatology say there is global warming induced by humans,
you can be sure they mean it, and you can be pretty sure they are right.
People outside the field of climatology -- including you -- do not know the
details and your critiques are probably wrong. I have seen many critiques
of cold fusion written by scientists outside the field, including
distinguished experts in physics and plasma physics. These critiques had no
merit. They had glaring errors, omissions and misunderstandings in them.
Some are outrageous nonsense, such as some the DoE panel comments:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/DOEusdepartme.pdf

Critiques by scientists who have not done their homework or have no
knowledge of calorimetry are wrong. Even when they are supportive of cold
fusion, they usually miss the point. Needless to say, critiques written by
Wikipedia-style amateurs are beyond the pale. Years ago when I reviewed the
Wikipedia article I could not find a single accurate substantive assertion
about cold fusion. Not one! Everything from tritium to reproducibility was
nonsense.

I cannot judge climatology, but I can see that it is complicated science.
It seems likely to me that all of the outside critiques are as bad as the
Wikipedia-style critiques of cold fusion.

Science works. In the end it gets things right, or mostly right. No one
should disagree with this. It is self evident. No one would dispute that
engineering works. Airplanes do not fall out of the sky; bridges do not
collapse; your computer CPU does a billion operations a second without a
single failure for months on end. Science and engineering are closely
allied and closely comparable to one another. They both work, for similar
reasons.

Weather forecasting is different from long term climatology in some ways,
yet closely related in others. They both use data from satellites and earth
station observations. They use the same basic physical models. They deal
with an enormous number of variables and gigantic databases. Weather
forecasting is astoundingly accurate and reliable compared to how it was 20
or 50 years ago. It is undeniable that great progress has been made in it.
It is foolish to imagine that similar progress has not been made in long
term climatology.