Jed,
I frequently say that I am not a qualified science person, particularly in
regards to nuclear science, which I have very little background in.
However, and to your disappointment:) , I will voice my opinion as I see
fit. If scientists had THE answer than the rest of us would be obsolete.
I think reality is that to take good informed decisions one need to take in
data from 'all walks of life'. The example given above about weather /
climate is a good example. There is a cost involved and there are political
issues to consider and on top of it all the problems are largest where the
economy will be most hurt by a quick enforcement of a world with no CO2
pollution. So even if the increase in global temperature is depending
mostly (which I doubt) on our CO2 pollution we need to overcome other
problems to get the issue in a better state.
US has been very late to adopt any pollution recommendations made by
institutions like UN. The reason has been that strong industrial powers did
not want this expensive regulation. Europe, which is more densely populated
, has had to take steps in this direction for a long time. Now the big
expense will hit areas where the economy cannot take the cost (same
reasoning as the  US put forward 30 years ago). In other words we need to
cough up the money if we want to see any progress in that field. LENR would
certainly be a great help. In the meantime we will see statements like the
one from Paris coming out at great cost and with zero impact. When US make
a 10% import fee on all Chinese  merchandise and then turn those money into
improvement of the pollution in China's developing cities then things will
happen. Popular - don't you think?

Best Regards ,
Lennart Thornros

lenn...@thornros.com
+1 916 436 1899

Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe and
enthusiastically act upon, must inevitably come to pass. (PJM)