Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This paper describes how the performance of AI machines tends to improve
> at the same pace that AI researchers get access to faster hardware. The
> processing power and memory capacity necessary to match general
> intellectual performance of the human brain are estimated. . . .

Ah, I see what comparison this is. This is roughly the number of brain
synapses multiplied by processing speed. Yes, that has been far ahead of
computers for a long time. The raw speed of some computations that do not
require a large memory has been faster in computers since they were
invented, but that is a different metric.

There was a comparison some time ago of computing power versus the human
brain, with an animated graphic showing how long it would take to full Lake
Michigan if you double the amount of water you add each year. See:

"Welcome, Robot Overlords. Please Don't Fire Us?

Smart machines probably won't kill us all—but they'll definitely take our
jobs, and sooner than you think."

http://www.motherjones.com/media/2013/05/robots-artificial-intelligence-jobs-automation

QUOTES:

Suppose it's 1940 and Lake Michigan has (somehow) been emptied. Your job is
to fill it up using the following rule: To start off, you can add one fluid
ounce of water to the lake bed. Eighteen months later, you can add two. In
another 18 months, you can add four ounces. And so on. Obviously this is
going to take a while.

By 1950, you have added around a gallon of water. But you keep soldiering
on. By 1960, you have a bit more than 150 gallons. By 1970, you have 16,000
gallons, about as much as an average suburban swimming pool. . . .

IF YOU HAVE ANY KIND OF BACKGROUND in computers, you've already figured out
that I didn't pick these numbers out of a hat. I started in 1940 because
that's about when the first programmable computer was invented. I chose a
doubling time of 18 months because of a cornerstone of computer history
called Moore's Law, which famously estimates that computing power doubles
approximately every 18 months. And I chose Lake Michigan because its size,
in fluid ounces, is roughly the same as the computing power of the human
brain measured in calculations per second. . . .