Russ George <russ.geo...@gmail.com> wrote:

What part of my qualifying word about Rossi’s test “as openly” did you not
> understand.

I understand perfectly, but I disagree. He has not been very open. He has
repeatedly withheld critical details. He has refused to answer questions,
or to allow qualified people to attend his demonstrations. Other
researchers have been more open than this.

As I said, he has no obligation to be open. No one could object if he kept
everything secret. But, if you are going to be open, and you wish to
establish credibility, I think you should be more forthcoming than he has
been. Assuming the machine works as claimed, it would not be difficult to
do a definitive test with many qualified witnesses. Of course it might not
work on the day you try to do a test. In that case, you try again some
other day.

I do not see the point of doing a demonstration if you do not wish to
establish credibility. I think you should either do a good job, or do
nothing.

> I see no complaints about Rossi’s work coming from those who have a
> history of work at the lab bench as opposed to the keyboards.

Many professional and academic scientists in this field have complained
about Rossi. Most of them have the same objections I do: the tests are
often sloppy and poorly documented.

> I am all for an open society, let’s begin with the revelation of all
> computer code everywhere.

Open source code is very popular these days.

Rossi is engaged in commercial development, so obviously he cannot reveal
technical details before he files a patent application. However, there is
no need to reveal such details. IBM, Intel and many other companies
demonstrate products in a convincing fashion without revealing technical
details. Rossi could easily convince expert observers by doing good
calorimetry with a black-box device. Many people have urged him to do that,
but he refuses.

McKubre speculates that Rossi does not want to establish credibility. He
wants there to be a margin of doubt about his work, to reduce competition.
Perhaps that is true. I wouldn't know, and I will not speculate about the
reasons. But I am sure this is deliberate. Rossi told me repeatedly that he
will not allow "tests" but only demonstrations. He told me he will do
nothing to improve the calorimetry. Many qualified people have recommended
improvements. He categorically refused to consider these suggestions.
Again, let me reaffirm that he has every right to do things his way, and to
refuse advice, but his credibility suffers because of it.

I am talking about the calorimetry in his public demonstrations. I have no
knowledge of the calorimetry in his lab or in the 1-year test.