What might be the comparison of this recent radiation flux signature with that
of something like a Farnsworth Fusor?

From: Bob Higgins [mailto:rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:51 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Big surprise or big dud ?

Alan has a full set of gamma check sources.  Initial calibration was done with
137Cs.  The energy scale drifted over time with heating from the reactor.  The
background always showed the 78keV x-ray and 1461 40K background peaks.  I
re-calibrated the energy scale on every file, resampled each to 1keV/bin, and
insured that the resampled file was adjusted to have the same photometric
counts.  Once that was done I could subtract my calibrated background.

We have since run another calibration with the equipment still in place.  We
setup to simultaneously capture spectra files with the NaI scintillator -
spectrometer, and also with the GMC-320+ GM counter he had alongside the
reactor.  He placed the check sources 1 by 1 on top of the reactor tube and
captured the response to each.  These sources were used:  54Mn, 133Ba, 57Co,
109Cd, and 137Cs.

There is the capability to capture the time series of counts out the back of
the spectrometer, but Alan did not have anything to capture it.  We will get
that setup for next time.  He also didn't know that the software had provision
for automated successive integrations and captures.  Now I have told him, and
that won't be manual and irregular next time.

The background was quite constant - the radon was either a minor factor or was
essentially constant over the course of the integrations.  Finlay McNab wrote
me and asked about possible cosmic ray shower.  It would be good to have
another detector placed away from the reaction, but I think that was covered
and here is what I told him about why I don't think it was a cosmic ray shower:

"The NaI detector was in a cave of lead bricks 3" thick.  At 500keV, only 1ppm
of incident cosmic ray energy will penetrate.  By 1MeV, 0.2% will penetrate.
So when high energy cosmic rays hit the lead cave, some will penetrate and when
they interact with the lead, and the 78keV characteristic x-ray will be
generated.  However, this will not go very far in the lead.  The very high
energy cosmic rays that penetrate almost all the way through the lead and
excite the 78keV x-ray near the inside surface will be picked up in the NaI
detector - and we see this.  What we see is that this 78keV peak and the rest
of the background stayed photometrically stable.  When we subtract the
reference background from other traces with no signal, we just get zero mean
noise.  If the cosmic rays had peaked, it would have peaked the 78keV signal
and this would no longer have subtracted out.  We see a clean subtraction in
our Spectrum-07 with no evidence of the 78keV peak, so it is reasonable to
conclude that the cosmic rays did not have a sudden shower."

I don't think trying to measure the radon daughters is worthwhile.  They would
have to be checked with a beta detector anyway, not with the NaI because there
is little or no gamma from radon decay as I understand it.

Bob

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Russ George <russ.geo...@gmail.com