To the best of my understanding, the LENR reaction is a two step process.
First, the heat of the system must be turned into an amplified spin system.
Then this spin system us TRIGGED by the application of a strong EMP pulse
that could be either light as in a laser pulse or an electrostatic pulse as
in a spark, This trigger uses the KERR effect to change the state of the
system.

For more detail as follows:

Magnetism usually produces photons that travel from one pole to another
symmetrically.

http://www.ece.neu.edu/fac-ece/nian/mom/img/How%20Magnets%20Work/magneticFieldLines1.gif

Magnetism becomes special when those photons don’t make it back from the
pole that it came from to the other pole. This type of magnetic field is
called anisotropic or unbalanced. This type of magnetism produces particles
inside the proton that messes up the inner working of the proton that keep
it together.

I cover this process of how the magnetic fields produced by heat become
anisotropic in this post

http://www.e-catworld.com/2017/04/14/symmetry-breaking-is-the-trigger-in-lenr-axil-axil/#comment-3256673715

and also

http://www.e-catworld.com/2017/04/14/the-process-by-which-the-proton-decays-in-lenr-axil-axil/#comment-3276572289

When symmetries are broken, this process disrupts the physical laws that
keep things working.

But there are many other ways in which this special magnetic field can form
including the formation of rare earth magnets.

See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_anisotropy