From: Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, March 5, 2018 7:52:56 AM
To: Vortex
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Amazing and overlooked: the big picture of Grid Energy in the
USA

bobcook39...@hotmail.com<mailto:bobcook39...@hotmail.com>
<bobcook39...@hotmail.com<mailto:bobcook39...@hotmail.com>> wrote:

The utilities love that combination of lower cost and higher profit margins,
with no competition.

The utilities do have a valid point regarding electricity from rooftop PV
installations. It costs them money to accept this electricity and to integrate
it safely into their grid. For example, the incoming power from a rooftop PV
installation has to be metered, and during a power failure, the power a PV
installation would be dangerous, so it has be cut off. This means the power
company meter and other equipment has to be more complicated. The power company
gets very little electricity from a rooftop installation, and I doubt they make
a significant profit from it. It is probably not worth it to them.

This is not like asking Amazon to sell 10 copies a year of an e-book. Amazon
can do that profitably because that business scales down and it is profitable
even at a few dollars per year. It does not require Amazon to install something
like a hardware meter at your house.