JonesBeene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> The first products will be the ones highest in commercial need for
> portable source of electricity, not heat. I doubt that mining
> cryptocurrency will be high enough in value as a niche market for any
> advanced energy generator. They only need cheap - nothing else overrides
> cheap for most markets. Deuterium and palladium will never be cheap.

Deuterium is far cheaper than any other fuel. High-purity heavy water costs
about $1000 per kilogram, or $1/g. One gram produces as much energy as 523
gallons of gasoline. At two dollars per gallon, that costs $1,046. See p.
33:

https://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusiona.pdf

Most of the cost of heavy water is for the energy needed to extract it. It
is also expensive because there is no demand for it and techniques for
extracting it have not improved much since the 1950s. Extracting large
amounts of heavy water with cold fusion energy will lower the cost by at
least a factor of 10, so it will be roughly 10,000 times cheaper than
gasoline.

> As of now Pd is $1.40 per milligram but demand could push that up by a
> factor of 100 or more.

Palladium cost $50.27 per gram which is $0.05 per milligram. Roughly half
of palladium is used in catalytic converters. These will not be needed with
cold fusion, freeing up supplies. Mizuno's projections show that even a
large generator will need only a few grams of palladium.

https://www.apmex.com/spotprices/palladium-price