The nonlinearity must be attached to the cathode itself because a THz
signal will not go through even 1 micron of electrolyte.  In the
Letts-Cravens-Hagelstein experiment, a tiny amount of gold was added to the
cathode to produce the nonlinearity.  Did it work because it formed a diode
junction?  Was the nonlinearity plasmon related?  That is presently unknown
- but it was produced directly on the cathode, which is the target.