To get frequencies in the output that were not in the input requires a
nonlinearity.  If you model the nonlinearity using a series such as Y = a +
bX + cX^2 + dX^3...
then all of the terms with X^2 and greater are the nonlinear terms.
Usually the coefficient of the squared term, c, is the largest of the
nonlinear terms.  When you have an input that is the sum of two
frequencies, you get a component in Y that is c[sin(w1t) + sin(w2t)]^2  .
It is the square of the sum of sines that produces the sum and difference
frequencies.

In the case of the Moire masks, you end up with a multiplication taking
place, not a sum.  The product of sines will also produce a sum and
difference.  Multiplication of inputs is a nonlinear operation.