The main problem with classic thinking is people cannot escape their mind or what they are able to see.

The full extent of EM theory can only be grasped in higher dimension than 4.

As a starter you can dig into Maxwell on S^3 :

https://www.math.upenn.edu/grad/dissertations/ParsleyThesis.pdf.

But you must go to SO(4) (S^5 for rotations) to get the true picture of the basic static relation between source charge and EM fields, what leads to the stable nucleus.

So everything you today read about black holes etc. is outrageous nonsense, as today's accepted.. physics has no clue about the structure of mass.

By the way:  Toroidal fields first were investigated by Tesla --> Tesla coils. All EM waves basically are toroidal but we try to make them as spherical as possible. In the far field the toroidal field components can be (most of the time) neglected. Most of the literature about pure toroidal fields or scalar EM waves is classified. But just google some terms I gave.

J.W.