Interesting references.  It reminded me of something I recalled from one of
my EM classes many years ago where the professor injected that adding a 5th
Dimension allowed for the unification of EM and Gravity and the basis for a
theory of everything.   Later learning that it was Kaluza-Klien theory and
it's been around since the early 1900s.  So as a quick background, a
wikipedia reference may help.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaluz-Klein_theory.

Recently there was a proposal that the dark matter problem could be solved
by the introduction of a 5th dimension, and there have been other
cosmological hints of a 5th dimension and an elegant model of black-holes
can be built in 5 dimensions.   So maybe there is something to the addition
of a higher dimension when dealing with EM.