Platform, or Publisher?
If Big Tech firms want to retain valuable government protections, then they
need to get out of the censorship business.
Adam CandeubMark Epstein
May 7, 2018

https://www.city-journal.org/html/platform-or-publisher-15888.html

quote <<While the First Amendment generally does not apply to private
companies, the Supreme Court has held it “does not disable the government
from taking steps to ensure that private interests not restrict . . . the
free flow of information and ideas.” But as Senator Ted Cruz points out,
Congress actually has the power to deter political censorship by social
media companies without using government coercion or taking action that
would violate the First Amendment, in letter or spirit. Section 230 of the
Communications Decency Act immunizes online platforms for their users’
defamatory, fraudulent, or otherwise unlawful content. Congress granted
this extraordinary benefit to facilitate “forum[s] for a true diversity of
political discourse.” This exemption from standard libel law is extremely
valuable to the companies that enjoy its protection, such as Google,
Facebook, and Twitter, but they only got it because it was assumed that
they would operate as impartial, open channels of communication—not
curators of acceptable opinion.>>

Harry