On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 8:24 PM William Beaty <bi...@eskimo.com> wrote:

> Buy slab-type, slabs kept in a stack to avoid internal convection.
>
> Buy an Al mylar "space blanket" and wrap the slab-stack in many layers.
>
> Best is to store the whole thing in a thick styrofoam box placed inside
> a bigger drinks-cooler.
>
> Doing that, you can make 20lbs last for over a week.

Great!

> While driving, blow outside air or keep windows cracked, so you DON'T DIE.
> (Usually this isn't a big issue, since when done right, the offgassing
> will be low.  People only die when they try using paper bags to transport
> many cubic feet of pellet-type, in hot desert environment (with car
> sealed, with air conditioning on "recirculate," and with air flowing
> through the pellets.)

Ok. Good advice.

> For Burning Man, I took 30lbs in a DIY chamber made from many layers of
> foil-coated 1/2" styrofoam, for walls 6in thick.   I was sitting all day
> in Center House, handing out chips so people could cool their drinks.
> The only problem was with hot wind storms, where my big box was outside
> the tent.   Tiny tiny air leaks acted like blow-torches, carving little
> slots in the surface of my slab-stack.   (That's when I started wrapping
> the whole thing in reflective mylar.)

Jones's link on 'blue sky cooling' gave me another idea. It seems to
me the sky could be used as a cold supply
instead of placing some sort of cold material at the first focus of
the ellipse. I will explain my cartoon reasoning in a follow up post
;-)
The sky wouldn't have the same cooling power but it might be enough to
reveal the existence of cooling rays.

Harry