On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 2:42 AM William Beaty <bi...@eskimo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2022, H LV wrote:
>
> > I have been doing more reading about the history of stimulated
> > emission. Einstein formally introduced a quantum version of the concept
> in
> > 1917.
>
> "STIMULATED EMISSION!"  Oh man don't even get me started.  (Too late!)
> Saying the words Stimulated Emission, that's like wearing a Susquehanna
> hat in an Abbott and Costello bit, and then saying "Niagara Falls"
> ...slowly I turned, step by step, INCH BY INCH.
>
> A very simple classical analog of Stimulated Emission (circuit-based
> stimulated emission) ...seems to have been missed by everyone.  It's a
> part of the "missing physics" of EM wave-absorption by atoms, photon-
> destruction, Einstein's fundamental mistakes about photoelectric effect,
> as well as being part of the odd "energy-sucking" effects seen with short
> resonant antennas.   All these topics constitute a single subject, and,
> having been missed by Classical physics textbooks, are declared to be
> "QM-only phenomena" when they crop up in various places.
>
> OK, first say we have a classical EM oscillator (a tank circuit hanging in
> space,)  and it's slowly emitting a small amount of radio waves.  Is there
> a way to force it to suddenly dump all of its stored energy as a huge
> blast of EM radiation?
>
> Certainly.  It's dead-simple stuff.  Should be part of every EM textbook.
>
> But it's not.
>
> Instead, Stimulated Emission is treated as some rare and unique, QM-only
> process, rather than a normal part of basic radio-science.  (Similar
> treatment is given to the weird behavior of electrically-small resonant
> antennas:  ignored, except when it crops up as "virtual photon" effects
> with atomic resonance, narrow-linewidth photon absorption,
> nearfield/evanescent "photon tunneling," etc.)

I found this paper from 1987 but it is not open access.
---------------
https://opg.optica.org/josab/abstract.cfm?uri=josab-4-1-78
Classical stimulated emission
Benjamin Fain and Peter W. Milonni
Abstract
Stimulated emission is formulated in completely classical terms and is
shown to occur in general only in nonlinear systems. Our approach is based
on the frequency-dependent susceptibility, which in both the classical and
quantum-mechanical descriptions is the main characteristic determining
whether there is absorption or stimulated emission. By using Bom’s
correspondence rule, we derive an expression for the lowest-order quantum
correction to the classical susceptibility.
---------------------

I want to revisit Rayleigh and Jeans famous classical calculation for the
spectral energy distribution from a blackbody that produced the ultraviolet
catastrophe. When doing their calculation they required that the electric
field on the cavity wall must be zero everywhere for all frequencies. Since
the calculation resulted in a physically unrealistic prediction of the
spectral energy distribution did it occur to them that the boundary
condition was physically unrealistic? How would the calculation change if
the electric field were allowed to be frequency dependent?

This is a conventional but detailed presentation of Rayleigh and Jeans law
for blackbody radiation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfPQLVzus4

Harry