Jed Rothwell wrote:

Edmund Storms wrote:

I don't think this approach will work under present conditions. In the process of denying funding, the people will get even more improvised and desperate.

There are 2 billion people in the world living in desperate conditions on the edge of starvation. They are not attacking us. All of the 9/11 plotters and all leading members of Al Qaeda are educated, middle-class people, or extremely wealthy people. Terrorism is not caused by poor and desperate people.

OK, what do you think causes terrorism? Why would an educated person give up their life to blow up an airplane? These people are not insane or without love of life, and the 72 virgins reason is pure propaganda. Of course, starving and ignorant people will not and can not cause much damage, unless as a mob. The effective terrorist acts are well planned and carried out as a military operation. This means the people are smart and view the act as being more important than their own life, just as all solders are taught. Why do you think they would come to this conclusion? If a person is smart and educated, they could normally get a good job and live a happy life. What makes these people so angry they would give this up and want to kill us? I don't believe they hate our freedom and our good life as we are encouraged to believe. I believe we have done and continue to do things any rational person would find upsetting if these same things were done to us. Of course, the situation has now gone beyond just being nice now and expect a change. We have to defend against the poison that has been created, but we can avoid making more in the future. To avoid making more , we need to know what went wrong and not continue to make the same mistake. This requires knowledge on our part, not propaganda and get even response.

 Funding can not be cut fast enough to stop the growing desperation.

Of course it could. If the US had launched a massive World War II style effort to fix the problem starting in 2001, oil would be worth practically nothing today.

Yes, and if the government gave everyone 1 million dollars, we would all be rich. But like this silly example, such things will not be done and if they were, other worse consequences would result. Solutions have to involve what can happen and then not produce worse situations. Some people would like us to nuke the whole region as a solution, but it is easy to predict this would result in a very much worse situation.

If the administration wanted to solve the problems, a few useful things could be done. For example, tax breaks for the oil industry could be reduced and these applied to other energy sources at a level sufficient to cause rapid change. A tax break could be applied to buying small cars rather than big ones. Bush could lower the tension by talking to the "bad" guys rather than taking a superior approach. People who have some knowledge about their jobs, rather than party loyalty, could be placed in important positions. However, all of these suggestions will be ignored because this is not the style of our present government.

Ed

In January 1942 the US government closed down
the entire automobile industry, confiscated every last assemble vehicle and spare part, and banned the sale of cars to civilians for the duration of the war (except to doctors and a few others). If we had taken similar bold action in 2001, and ordered the entire automobile industry to begin manufacturing plug-in hybrids only, we would be well on our way to reducing oil consumption by a factor of 10. Ford and General Motors would dominate the international market and would be selling tens of millions of ultra-efficient cars to China and other countries. Oil would be selling for $10 a barrel, and even at that price sales would be dropping. Saddam Hussein, the Saudi and Iranian governments would be bankrupt and probably overthrown by now.

All this and more could have been done . . . but nothing was done.