On 8/14/06, Jed Rothwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Edmund Storms wrote:

>No one can win against a foe who is willing to die for their belief . . .

True for non-conventional wars.

I always drawn back to this article by the late Robin Cook:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,12780,1523838,00.html

written after the London bombings.  I find this excerpt amusing:

"Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by
western security agencies. Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA
and funded by the Saudis to wage jihad against the Russian occupation
of Afghanistan. Al-Qaida, literally "the database", was originally the
computer file of the thousands of mujahideen who were recruited and
trained with help from the CIA to defeat the Russians. Inexplicably,
and with disastrous consequences, it never appears to have occurred to
Washington that once Russia was out of the way, Bin Laden's
organisation would turn its attention to the west."

Terry