Michel Jullian wrote:

> Sure Harry it's ion wind. Naudin's comment, athough somewhat misleading, is
> correct too. The collector (bottom negative armature) is indeed attracted
> upwards to the "parachuting" positive ion cloud _generated by_ the corona wire
> (the ion cloud, dragging ambient air along, is pulled downwards with an equal
> and opposite force, hence the wind). This upwards pull constitutes most of the
> lift, because most of the positive charge (whose total value is equal and
> opposite to the collector's negative charge due to charge conservation) is in
> the air, so the wire itself carries a comparatively small positive charge, so
> it's contribution to the lift (upwards push from the positive ion cloud below)
> is comparatively small.
>
> Same reasoning holds if you reverse polarity, in all cases you get thrust in
> the direction from the collector to the wire (not necessarily upwards BTW).
>
> Michel

For sake of argument assume there is no ion wind. What you have
are two oppositely charged bodies where one (the wire) is above the other
(the tube). Each will be attracted to the other. The tube will accelerate
upwards and the wire will accelerate downwards. If the attractive forces are
opposite AND equal the lifter will not take off, but since tube has some
freedom to move it will rise until it is stopped by the cross member.

However, if these forces are opposite but not equal the lifter will either
want to ascend or descend depending on the polarity.

On the other hand if an ion wind is the cause of this net force then it
should be possible to reduce the net force by inserting a horizontal neutral
(e.g. paper) shield in the gap between the wire and the tube. This shield
would be fixed to the struts of the lifter.

Harry