Michel Jullian wrote:

> It won't rise but some of the ions will go round or even through the paper so
> you'll get some remaining thrust, it's very hard to insulate high voltages.

Well one could also do what Stephen A. Lawrence suggested earlier.
Put the lifter inside a box and place the box on a weight scale.

> Anyway no one serious in the field still doubts the ion wind hypothesis, for
> thousands of reasons, not the least of them being that it has been
> experimentally shown that you get no thrust in vacuum. But some people do
> entertain the doubt on their websites, deliberately or not.

If it is very hard to insulate high voltages as you say above,
what makes the vacuum tests so credible?

> What convinced me personnally is the fact that experimental thrusts are equal
> to what is expected from ion wind theory (the formula I gave earlier on). So
> any contribution of other effects is minimal at most.

So the math has the last word.

> Anyway EHD experiments are great fun and easy to do, so by all means
> experiment and form your own opinion.

I already have formed an opinion. The outcome of the suggested
experiment might change my opinion.

> Beware though that high voltages (25kV for a typical computer screen power
> supply) at any sizeable current (more than a few mA) can be lethal, and hurt a
> lot in the very least (feels a bit like having your arm caught in a meat
> chopper I was told).
>
> Michel

I would conduct the test myself, but my current living circumstances
make it unfeasible.

Harry